Have you ever purchased a hoodie that seemed like the perfect size, only to find out it’s too small once you tried it on? Don’t despair! We’ve got you covered with our guide on how to make a hoodie bigger. Read on and learn all about how to easily increase your garment’s size without sacrificing comfort, quality or style.
How to Make a Hoodie Bigger
1. Stretching Techniques
- A. Manual Stretching: Lay the hoodie on a flat surface. Gently pull and stretch the areas that need resizing. Hold the stretched fabric for a few seconds to encourage elasticity.
- B. Using Stretching Aids or Tools: Choose stretching aids like a hoodie stretcher or forms. Insert the stretching tool into the hoodie and adjust accordingly. Leave the tool in place for the recommended duration.
2. Sewing Alterations
- A. Adding Fabric Inserts: Measure the areas that need extra fabric. Cut matching fabric pieces to insert into the hoodie. Sew the additional fabric carefully to blend with the original.
- B. Expanding Side Seams or Sleeves: Identify the seams to be altered. Seam rip the existing stitches. Add extra fabric and sew the seams back together.
3. Using Fabric Extenders
- A. Overview of Commercially Available Hoodie Extenders: Explore options available in the market. Choose a fabric extender suitable for your hoodie style.
- B. How to Use and Attach Fabric Extenders: Follow the extender’s instructions for attachment. Adjust the extender to achieve the desired fit.
4. Tools and Materials
- A. Stretching Tools: Hands for manual stretching. Hoodie stretcher or forms for assistance.
- B. Sewing Supplies: Fabric for inserts. Sewing machine or needle and thread.
- C. Fabric Extenders: Research and purchase from reliable sources.
Mistakes When Making a Hoodie Bigger
Common mistakes to avoid when attempting to make a hoodie bigger include using the wrong type of fabric or thread, not properly measuring and cutting the fabric, and failing to adjust the design or pattern accordingly.
Additionally, not taking into account the desired fit or style, such as the placement of pockets or the overall shape of the hoodie, can also result in unsatisfactory outcomes. It is important to carefully plan and execute each step of the process to ensure a successful enlargement of the hoodie.
Tips for Maintaining the Resized Hoodie
Washing: Check the care label on your hoodie for specific instructions. Most hoodies can be machine washed, but it is recommended to wash them inside out with like colors in cold water. Avoid using harsh detergents or bleach as it can damage the fabric or cause fading.
Drying: It is best to air dry your hoodie by laying it flat on a clean surface or hanging it up. Avoid using high heat or tumble drying as it may shrink or distort the shape of the hoodie. If you need to use a dryer, choose a low heat setting.
Ironing: If your hoodie requires ironing, turn it inside out and use a low to medium heat setting. Avoid ironing over any prints or logos as it may cause them to peel or warp.
Storage: When not in use, fold your hoodie neatly and store it in a cool, dry place. Avoid hanging it for extended periods as it may stretch the fabric. If possible, store it in a drawer or shelf to maintain its shape.
After reading this article, you now have a good idea of how to go about making your hoodie bigger. You can choose from basic methods such as rolling up the sleeves or complex methods like adding panels. Depending on the materials and your expertise, you can select the method that works best for you.
However, no matter how you do it, just remember to not take shortcuts as this may affect the overall quality of your hoodie. For those who don’t have any confidence in themselves yet, there are also professionals ready to help with your modifications, so don’t be afraid to seek out assistance if needed.